dying my hair grey

Source
I've been in awe of all the girls on Instagram and Tumblr who have gorgeous long, silver/grey hair for so long. But since I've dyed my hair way too many times in the last 4 years, I've been giving my hair a break to replenish for about 8 months. I'm the type of person who gets really bored of their appearance, really quickly. It's why I change my hair so often, have so many piercings and tattoos, and am always shopping. What can you do.

Source
But lo and behold, I recently found out about Colour Freedom's Metallic Glory range from a friend. Not only does the range have at least 5 shades of silver/grey dyes, meaning there's one to suit every hair colour, they're also "deposit" dyes, which means there's no harsh chemicals and bleach taking the colour out of your hair, it's only depositing colour onto your hair. Obviously this is great, especially for someone like me who really doesn't want to damage their hair anymore. As it turns out, Metallic Glory is extremely sought after and is basically always sold out (I could only find it stocked in Superdrug). The two most popular colours, Silver Grey and Graphite Grey, weren't in stock when I went into my local store, and being the super impatient and spontaneous person I am, I settled for Silver Blonde, as the colour advertised on the front of the box was basically the colour I wanted to achieve. When I got home and actually looked more closely to the instructions (in retrospect I probably should have done this before actually buying it, my bad), it seemed that Silver Blonde would only really work on very light, bleached hair, which I do not have - insert sad face emoji.
Contents of the Graphite Grey dye kit
Through the persuasion of my boyfriend, I decided not to risk it and set an alert on Silver Grey and Graphite Grey to email me when they came back in stock. I'd read on the Colour Freedom website that they weren't due back until June so naturally, I was pretty disappointed. I don't quite know how, but literally the next day I happened to check my email right when I got an alert that Silver Grey was in stock. I bought it straight away and got free delivery to... the wrong store. I know. The excitement must have taken over me because I have no idea how I managed to do that. I honestly felt like someone was trying to tell me not to dye my hair. Seriously, could any more things get in my way? The answer is yes, yes they could. After waiting like 5 days for it to arrive to the store, I return my Silver Blonde box, picked up my Silver Grey box and happily made my way home. I don't really know what made me check my friend's blog review about dying her hair, but I did (read her review here). And what did I find? She'd used Graphite Grey, not Silver Grey. Yet another obstacle in my way, who'd have known. After seeing how well her hair turned out, I didn't want to risk using a different colour and it going wrong. However, it was sold out online, so my boyfriend called every Superdrug store in close proximity to us, only to find out they didn't stock the range. I had practically given up hope at this point, when the store in Marble Arch had one left, ONE. Luckily, the guys on the phone was really nice and said he'd hold on to it for us. So we left straight away, took the tube for half an hour there and bought it. Phew. Who would have thought it was possible to go through so much trouble to buy some bloody hair dye. 
Before and after dying my hair
Now obviously my hair looks pretty different in these pictures as it's curly in one and straightened in the other, but I personally like having them like this because I think these styles best suit the hair colours. The dye didn't take as well to my roots as it did to the blonde parts, but that's to be expected as my roots are my natural hair colour. It did however, cancel out the yellow-y tones in the brown, so my roots are now more of an ashy brown, which I think helps blend them in with the grey. In natural light, the two colours blend seamlessly together, I don't know what's up with artificial light but it makes it look more green/blue than it is. The colour was darker than I expected at first, I kind of felt like an emo teen for the first day, but I think it was more just me getting used to having darker hair. It also seems to have lightened now that I have washed my hair again, and even though it's advertised as a permanent dye it supposedly faded, so that's something to bare in mind if you're not happy with the colour straight away. I ended up just squirting the dye on my gloved hands and rubbing it into my hair like shampoo. I felt like this covered more of my hair than taking sections and applying it bit by bit. In an idea world I would have loved for it to turn how like the hair in the pictures above, but as my hair wasn't bleached that wouldn't be possible. But all in all, I really like how it turned out, and it was a huge plus that it was quite easy to cover everything and get good results. If you're playing with the idea of dying your hair I would definitely say go for it as Colour Freedom is so affordable and have such a great range of colours!

Till next time,



Nicole
xoxo

Popular Posts